Thursday, July 26, 2018

Zooms. The best of the worse?

Have been shooting with primes for the past year or two, I regret to say that my zooms have been in neglect. That is, not since yesterday when I read on one of the Facebook group about the Minolta 24-50 and the Minolta 24-35 zooms in MD mounts. That got me excited and I started reading up on them. It seems the Minolta 35-70 3.5 with macro comes up very often on the net. Granted some post can me many years ago but they got me excited nevertheless.

I went in deep looking for my 35-70. I knew I have yet to really shoot with this lens so I wanted to see what the hype was. I must say that I have to manage my expectations when I saw the images. Primes are much better. And if this zoom is one of the best in the rokkor range I wonder how would the rest do? As fast as as zooms go, this one does not disappoint in several ways. The ways it does disappoint is because of it's sheer design. For example it's biggest aperture is 3.5 and stopping down to 5.6 shows a stark, better difference in image quality. Compare this with a night fifty of 1.4... the dof or the shallow dof pales in comparison.

But one has to call a spade a spade. As far as zooms go, it does give good images. Coupled that with the convenience of carrying just one lens, this 35-70 is one of the best.

Not surprisingly I went to eBay and ordered a 24-35. I hope if the quality of the images produced is on par with the 35-70 then I might have the perfect kit for my holidays this coming December.











In the meantime, I will bring the lens outside and hopefully be able to catch more interesting shoots.





No comments: