Saturday, February 28, 2009

99000

I read in an article that it is expected to have 99000 people who will lost their job. Its getting very real. At first, one would think that it'll not affect us, Singaporeans I mean. But if the numbers do come true, imagine how it must feel like for those involved. Some may be lucky to have saving to tide them over, but for how long? What will happen then? And imagine the stress people are feeling now, thinking that they may lose their livlihood.
I have friends, who are zipping around, travelling to overseas destinations, talking about buying new cars and all, all painting a rosy picture to their aquitances. But it is not that rosy. The person sitting next to you on the bus, is probably thiniking as to how to feed his or her children in the coming weeks! Its that bad.
I have friends who resigned from jobs, because they don't like the environment. Who does? If you like your environment, then its not work. But in this times, there are mouth to feed and bills to pay.
I'm sitting here, on my bed, listening to the sound of tyres splashing on the wet road. I wonder, will it affect me? And if it does, am I fully ready?
I guess the answer will be yes, it has already affected me, and no I can never be ready. People close to me have their lives changed because of this recession. A relative had to spend time away from her son just so she could work and bring $1.5k back home. Another close friend, has fallen sick thinking as to where is he going to get the money to pay for his house instalments.
Many of my colleagues or ex colleagues seems to be living in this bubble, sterile inside, translucent to see through. They see what they want to see. They see misbehavior, they see dirty unwashed uniforms, they see borrowing and lending of money to buy food for luch. Its what they don't see that makes me wonder. I'm not one to judge, but I want to know, what is it that makes them unable to see, or empathise. Perhaps, its their lot. Perhaps they can't do anything about it. Perhaps they don't bother. I don't want to judge. I want to know.
I want to know what will happen to my neighbour who has two kids and husband only earning 1k per month. I want to what what will happen to another neighbour who owes a bank 1.4k a month on car instalments. Sheesh!
All I'm saying, it time one be prepared. Spend some time in putting some away. It might just come in handy.

No comments: