Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The little noisemaker that is ill.

Tonight is the second night that Adam is ill. I was told to pick him up from school yesterday as he managed to hit a temperature of 37.7. I took him to the doctor and it was 37.4 I think as a precaution, the doctor gave him two days of medical leave and told me to bring him back for a medical review if his temp hit 38. Well, it did, that very night. I brought him to the doc again in the morning and his temp then was 38.5. Doc prescribed Neurofen, a stronger anti pyrectic medicine as compared to paracetamol.
This evening, his mom too had a bout of breathlessness. Took her to the doctor, and doc diagnosed her as having asthma.
I think it was my fault for not stressing enough to Risa and Adam to take his medicine at six. As result Adam waited for us for dinner and by the time we arrived it already 8. Risa, not knowing any better, did not administer the medication to Adam as he has not taken his dinner. So by 9.00 p.m his temp rose to 39.3. Su gave him another dose of Neurofen and he is now sleeping.
If not for the fact that his lips are reddish and his face is flush, one would not think that Adam is sick. Still active, still cheeky and still hungry, he appears to be perfectly normal. But appearance can be deceiving. I'm not betting that I will get a good night sleep later. Most probably, I'll have to sponge him around 3. How do I know? 15 years of being a medic tell me so.
Be strong, I tell myself this morning as visions and images of him, very sick and in the hospital, came floating in my mind. I really hope, it will not come to that.
As for me, aside from muscle aches and swollen hands, everything seems to be ok.

Be strong, god willing.

No comments: